Friday, January 16, 2015

25 Edge Hill Poets: Sarah Billington

 
Sarah Billington

A few words on Edge Hill and my poetry

 The last three years that I have spent studying at Edge Hill have been what I believe to be the most formative years of my life. I have learnt so much about myself and who I am as both a writer and poet.  Before I came here I hadn't written poetry in a very long time and I didn't even know if I still could but it wasn't long before I found my voice again and now I write almost everyday.  My poetry is still in its early stages and I am constantly trying out new ideas and themes and letting it take me wherever it leads.  I have recently just completed a portfolio on confessional poetry that examined aspects of my life from childhood to early adulthood, to who I am today as a woman, mother and aspiring poet.  The collection is a personal journey and one that I felt was important for me to write at this stage in my life as it visits a part of my past that I had long ago put to rest but had never forgotten.
 
 

Red Leaves


 

What of those final moments

            when all time folded into one

and we left our love

            buried under red leaves

like a disappeared smell

            expectation and bitter fruit.

 

How did I not fall

            off the edges of the earth

dissecting memories

painting them onto snow

            the moon turned black

shadows glided into darkness. 

 

Bones of a young girl

            wandering out of town.

 

 Sarah is currently a student on the MA at Edge Hill, details here.